I’m lucky enough to be approached by some awesome brands seeking collaborations and partnerships. Recently SABMiller launched their very own craft beer (called Carver’s Weiss). They approached me to come up with various recipes that would pair well with the beer. Their brief stipulated that the recipes must be South African based and also be for sharing.
Before you frown at the use of mielie meal for this recipe, I think I should point out that proper pizza dough makes use semolina flour, which is gritty and course just like maize meal. It’s where I got the recipe idea from. After a few tweaks I managed to find a balance.
For the Pizza base:
- 1 cup mielie meal
- ¾ cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 jumbo egg
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- ¼ cup cold water
- Mix the egg, water and yoghurt together and mix it into the dry ingredients.
- Divide the pizza batter in 2, flatten as thin as possible and place in two greased oven proof pans.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside
For the toppings:
- 3 spoons tomato paste
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 5 sliced peppadews
- 5 sundried tomatoes
- 2 large Chutney marinated chicken breasts (see recipe below)
- Marinate the chicken breasts in a cup of chutney, 2 spoons of olive oil, salt and a spoon of balsamic vinegar.
- Grill the chicken breast until done on a braai. Cut into but size cubes
- Once you pizza base has baked spoon the tomato paste on top of the base and top the pizza with the rest of the ingredients, bake in the oven until the cheese has melted. Top with rocket, drizzle with honey and balsamic reduction. Serve hot.