This a simple classic recipe for French bread I’ve used for years. I use it to make dinner rolls but it also works well to make French loaves too.
I’d recommend you use your hands to knead the dough as this helps develop gluten and activate the yeast through the warmth in your hands.
1. Cake Flour 450g
2. Sugar 35g
3. Salt 15g
4. Instant yeast 7g
5. Water (lukewarm) 250ml
· Put the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl and add the water.
· Mix until soft, smooth and elastic. (Windowpane stretch test)
· Prove in a bowl covered in plastic until double in size.
· Weigh out into portions, shape and place on a greased baking tray and dust with flour.
· Prove until double in size.
· Bake at 240⁰C until dark brown.
· Turn out onto wire rack to cool.